Sunday, September 28, 2014

Wiz-War project series prelude



Wiz-War is the kind of game where you feel like a kid again as you envision yourself as a wizard fighting in a deep underground 4D Escheresque hypercube labyrinth for the honor to be the next big cheese at the mages guild. Throwing spells at your rivals, using the creativity for clever magical plays that were once as easy as breathing to dream up and imagine when you were child. Free from years of conformity beating that wonderful creativity from your mind. You are also rewarded for that cleverness, both in your aggressiveness as well as your defensiveness.

Red Wizard: “I teleport you to this space of the maze and take control of your mind and then make you walk back and forth through that wall of fire while stepping on thumbs tacks scattered on the ground too!”
Green Wizard: “Nuh uh! I teleport away before you can target me. :p ”
Red Wizard: “Well, I just dispel your teleport.”
Green Wizard: “.... Fuuuuuck youuuu!”
Red Wizard: “That's 26 points of damage, which should just about kill you dead. And then some.”
Green: Wizard: “It would kill me if I didn't cast delay death like I am right now. Are you done playing around with your baby spells? Good. Now it's time to show you how a wizard can be a man...”
A fun game. A great game.

Games like this need more attention than what merely comes in the retail packaging.

And indeed this one gets the deluxe treatment with a new board by Hirstarts, some supplementary graphic design work for random labyrinth generation, as well as handy indicators on the table as to which special rule is being used, along with tuck boxes made to look like spellbooks to store the sleeved cards for each school of magic separately. It's been an ongoing project since February of 2012. Much of which was originally posted on BGG, but is better served on my own blog.

I didnt want to go through all the work to make 4-6 boards individually, so I spent extra time to make one board and fill in all the cracks with putty so I could use it as a master and make a mold of it to cast more boards in one single, easy step. It was very much worth the extra time, because I if sell a few boards to others, it makes it a lot less work for them as well.

The project is essentially completed, so I'll just separate each portion as it's own update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts?