Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Space Hulk concept work: TOKENS

Building a three dimensional Space Hulk board requires more work than that 'simple' task in order to play the game.

Rules and missions must be formatted if you do not already own a copy. Tokens must be made. Models must be built and painted.

Today, I am addressing tokens that will be needed to play all editions of Space Hulk.

I will first start by saying that creating your own durable and visually stunning tokens can be quite cheap and easy to do if you have good image files to work with and you have access to laser printable sheets of the 70's craze Shrinky Dinks. I estimate that you would need about 4 packs to do all the tokens you would need for Space Hulk due to how much the sheets shrink.

But that is not the route I will be taking for this project.

Litko Aerosystems has proven to be a good source of durable acrylic, laser etched gaming tokens (both pre-made and custom) for quite awhile now and only get better with each passing day.

The following is a list of suggested pre-made tokens made by Litko that can prove useful for Space Hulk:

Heavy Flamer Tokens
Out of all the flame tokens that Litko makes I like these flamer tokens the most because they add to the three dimensional quality I am striving for, they are small enough to fit on the same space as other models without having to move the models to place them like you do previously with GW's flame tokens and for $10 I can buy all the snazzy flamer tokens I may need.














Litko also has a larger selection of other tokens you may find use for in the game, but due to my use of a roster sheet to keep track of various game effects I find I will not be needing any more pre-made tokens that they offer.

And now for the list of custom tokens that will be needed.

One of Litko's first token sets they ever produced was the 'scanner blip token'.











Which is very nice except for one rather glaring problem. They are clear enough to see through. Those of you who play Space Hulk know that what is face down on the blip counter must be kept secret from the Space Marine player so that the element of surprise is maintained when you reveal how many Genestealers will be pouncing on him.

If I am going to be paying such a premium for tokens, then they better damned well work for what I need them for right out of the package.

I fixed this problem by asking Litko if they could reproduce this exact token in the following customized way;
Thirty one 30mm opaque green acrylic squares etched on the top in the scanner blip style face, 3mm rounded edges with the following numerals etched on the reverse face:
  • Nine tokens with '1' on the reverse
  • Four tokens with '2' on the reverse
  • Nine tokens with '3' on the reverse
  • Two tokens with '4' on the reverse
  • Two tokens with '5' on the reverse
  • Two tokens with '6' on the reverse
  • Three tokens with '0' on the reverse
Along with two 30mm opaque red acrylic squares etched on the top in the scanner blip style face, 3mm rounded edges with nothing etched on the reverse face. (These are for Ambush tokens. More on that later...)

Litko replied quickly and said it wasn't a problem. In fact because I was ordering 33 tokens, the price for this customization was barely more expensive than I would have paid to get non-customized tokens. $24.98 versus $23.96.

That takes care of the blip tokens but Overwatch/Jammed counters are also needed as well.

Litko provides both of these as pre-made items:
But it is unlike the original Space Hulk game where the 'Jammed' token was merely the reverse of the 'Overwatch' face.

Well, Litko is ever accommodating and I asked them to etched the word 'Jammed' across the reverse side of the Overwatch token set and it actually cost me less to do this than it was to buy two separate token sets. $9.99 versus $10.98

Grand total after shipping for the 43 tokens was $41.17. (I didn't order the flame tokens because my LFGS carries Litko products so I decided I would support my LFGS as much as I could by only purchasing custom items in this order.)

One might gasp at such a cost, but I think this is a pretty good deal when I take into account the durability of these tokens as well as the time and effort it would take myself to create an equitable product.

About the only (albeit minor) drawback I can see to this is that I can expect to wait 3+ weeks for this order to be made before it even ships due to the custom nature of this order. But I do not need these immediately so it really isn't a concern.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is great to know. I'm going to order a set of these myself (although with an additional ten blips, A to J, for Hybrids.)

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?